Virginia Bernhard Quotes
- Born: in Austin, Texas, The United States.
- Description: Virginia Bernhard (B.A., Rice; M.A., University of Pennsylvania; Ph.D., Rice) is Professor Emerita of History at the University of St. Thomas. Born in Austin, Texas, she grew up in Houston, attending Lanier Junior High School, San Jacinto High School, and Rice University. After graduate work at the University of Pennsylvania she returned to Houston and earned a Ph.D. in history at Rice. She lives in Houston, Texas, is married to Jim Bernhard, actor/writer, and has three grown children.
Awards and honors:
• Katherine Munson Foster Memorial Award for Literature, Brazos County Historical Museum, 2014
• B.K. Smith Lecturer in History, University of St. Thomas, 2011.
• Minnie Stevens Piper Foundation Award for Outstanding Scholarship and Academic Achievement, 2003.
• Texas Historical Commission Award, Best Local History Publication, for Ima Hogg:The Governor’s Daughter, 1984
• Woodrow Wilson Fellow 1960-61.
• Phi Beta Kappa, 1959